Wolves manager Gary O’Neil has said that he expects Manchester City transfer target, Matheus Nunes, to still be at Molineux after Friday’s summer transfer window deadline.
After seeing a £47m bid turned down by Wolves, it was reported that City had made an improved offer to sign the midfielder, who refused to train with his side in an effort to force a move to the Manchester club.
Now though, with only a couple of days left until the transfer window closes, the Wolves manager has shared an update on this particular transfer saga.
O’Neil addresses Nunes situation
Speaking in a recent press conference after seeing his side beat Blackpool 5-0 in the second round of the Carabao Cup last night, O’Neil had this to say about the situation surrounding Nunes.
He said: “He’s not with the group at the moment, his choice, After the bid from Manchester City, he decided it was best for him not to be with the group.
MORE MAN CITY STORIES
“Club policy, and how we deal with things like that, is set in place. As far as I’m aware there’s been no improved bid.
“Matheus Nunes is still our player, we have a long contract still with him and at this moment I fully expect him to be here come 2 September. The next few days will be key of course and conversations will take place that will be private between me and Matheus and I’m sure the situation will be resolved.”
Wolves only signed the 25-year-old during the previous summer transfer window on a five-year deal worth a club record fee of £38m.
Since then, Nunes has gone on to make 41 appearances for the Midlands club across all competitions, 34 of which came in the previous Premier League campaign.
If what O’Neil said is true and that City have yet to make an improved offer for the Portuguese international, they’ll have to move quickly if they still want to add the midfielder to their squad before Friday’s deadline.
However, it seems that despite the player’s refusal to train in recent days, Wolves are not likely to be forced into selling Nunes for less than what they value him at.