Pep Guardiola has said Kalvin Phillips is ready to start for Man City against Southampton in the Carabao Cup quarter-final.
So far, Phillips has not had the dream start to life at City, with constant injuries stopping him in his tracks of enhancing his reputation at arguably the best team in the world.
However, it seems as if the England international has finally been given the all-clear to start proceedings against Southampton by Guardiola, as recently reported.
Joining Man City in the summer, Kalvin Phillips always had a tall task in front of him.
For starters, a certain Rodri, who has a claim for being the most well-rounded defensive midfielder in Europe was his direct competitor for a place in the starting XI.
If that wasn’t challenging enough, adapting to the Pep Guardiola way was another potential obstacle that Phillips must have had to overcome.
With fitness issues being a further ring of fire presented in front of the ex-Leeds hero, it seemed like luck simply was not on his side.
But now, Phillips may finally get his chance under the bright lights in a sky blue shirt.
Pep Guardiola says Kalvin Phillips is ready to start against Southampton
Man City manager Pep Guardiola has confirmed that Kalvin Phillips is ready to start against Southampton in the Carabao Cup quarter-final on Wednesday night.
“He’s [Kalvin Phillips] always ready. He needed time for tactical aspects, but he’s ready. We have to see, but I think he’s an intelligent player. Normally holding midfielders, so clever.”
“He has indicated at Leeds with [Marcelo] Bielsa the commitment of every training session and every game. But there are patterns and movements and you need game time.”
“He arrived and had injuries, which meant he couldn’t be there [to start] but step by step, he will get there”, Guardiola told MEN’s Daniel Murphy.
Now, it’s time for Kalvin Phillips to impress Pep Guardiola and Man City fans against Southampton, as both parties away to see what he is capable of for the Premier League champions.